Thursday, March 8, 2007

No wonder my brain feels overloaded

Kent Shaffer at churchrelevance.com just posted some information from Wired that last year the world generated 161 billion gigabytes of information. Wow!
To put that in perspective.
That is:
3 million times the information in all the books ever written.
the equivalent of 12 stacks of books that reach from Earth to the Sun.


That is just mind boggling. As a technology junkie, I love having all of that info at my fingertips, but it is more important now than ever before to be careful about what information you listen to. We have been doing some research activities at school, and I can tell you that at least half of the kids would tell you that the Earth was flat if the the first link they clicked on in their google search said that. We need to be training our kids to actually search for truth, rather than just accepting something as truth, because it is on the internet. I mean look at me, I figured out how to get my info on the web. I'm sure someone with more sinister intentions could figure it out too. With all of that information out there, make sure you use it wisely.

I also believe that it is part of being a good steward to use what is out there for God's glory. I have a tendency find all of this great stuff and keep it to myself. My new goal is to start sharing with the rest of you, and using what I find to further God's kingdom.

No comments: